Monday, July 28, 2014

1-1

My name is Olaf Oddison, friends call me “Oddish” as in Odd-Finnish; or they use to that is, when I was alive. Now I roam around, looking over those I’ve loved and lost, mainly her. I long to reach out and wipe her tears away, to hold her hand and kiss her lips. Oh what I would give to be able to hold my beautiful Iris one last time. I shake away the thoughts and fight the urge to scream, to punch the air because as a ghost, that is all I can hit. I float around in a state of misery and sadness, wondering what I did to deserve this hell, she is all I can think of and that makes this that much harder.
I’m not alone. I am surrounded by others like me but we don’t talk, we rarely make eye contact. Each of us is figuring out how to deal with this helpless, trapped feeling. Anger rises in my throat and I try to choke it back. I know it will only consume me whole. Instead I float to her house and linger in the trees by her house. I see her through the window, she’s in her studio creating one of her masterpieces. Iris is a jewelry designer. I absently touch the pendant around my neck and recall the day she gave it to me, the day I left Aurora Skies to sell my art.


I met Iris in an art museum. I was new in town, passing through really, and was looking to sell my art. She was setting up an exhibit and asked to see my work. We spent hours talking and even went for coffee. It was as if we had known each other all our lives. I was a recluse by nature but Iris brought me out of my shell. We quickly started dating and continued our relationship even after I went off across the country selling my art to galleries. I ended up back in Aurora Skies, because I couldn’t live without my sweet Iris. I had no one but Iris. She was all I needed so I moved in with her.
My plan was to wait until Valentine’s Day but that was three weeks away and I was impatient. I planned the perfect night, I was going to take her to the park where I had a gourmet picnic complete with champagne laid out. I was going to perform her favorite song at the pavilion before dropping to one knee and proposing.
It never happened.
I went to the park to set up my guitar amp and the speakers but something went terribly wrong, a short in the wiring, I guess and the last thing I remember is the voltage shooting through me before a warm feeling washed over me.
I never got my chance.
Now I watch her from afar. I never go in her house or get too close, it would be even more unbearable.
I start to float away, thinking maybe I am bringing this pain on myself when suddenly she smiles and I am drawn to that smile. I float closer and she stands up, turning, for a moment I think she sees me but that hope is quickly taken away as she wraps her arms around a man’s neck. He embraces her and holds her close. I can only stare as this man kisses my girl.
My girl.
She’s no longer my girl.
I float away, no longer sure of anything except dying is the worst feeling in the world besides dying again.
---

I hover on a bench looking out over the sea but not really seeing anything. What’s the point of seeing when beauty is gone with death?
“She’s going to marry him soon, you know?”
I turn my head and see this woman, black hair, red lips and pure black eyes. “Who are you?”
“I’m a demon and I’m here to make you an offer.”
“Demon? As in hell?”
She smirks. “That is my home, yes.”
“Are you taking me to hell?” I ask not really caring either way.
“Olaf, listen carefully because I will not repeat myself. I am making you a one time offer, I will give you life in return for a favor. Do you accept?”
“What is the favor?” I asked eyeing her suspiciously.
“I will tell you when I am ready to cash in the favor. I just need to know that you agree and when I come back, you will do as I ask. If you agree and when the times comes for the favor, you refuse, you will be sent to hell and believe me, this is paradise compared to the fiery pits of hell. So what is your answer?”
“I will be alive, as in flesh, bone, blood and heartbeat?”
“Yes, you will be as you were before the electrocution. A real human. You can go to your love, stop the wedding and live your life as you planned before your accident.”
Images of her flash before me and before I can think any longer I blurt out my answer. “Yes.”
She stands and places her hand on my forehead. My world goes black.

No comments:

Post a Comment