Monday, July 28, 2014

1-4 | Luck of the Draw


I arrived in Roaring Heights the next day and met the real estate agent at the house I agreed to rent. I admit it was smaller than the house I had in Aurora Skies and weirdly built. There was a spiral staircase in the Living Room/Dining area and it led up to the balcony which had a door leading to the bedroom. I had a feeling I would be glad I signed only a three month lease.  The real estate agent gave me the keys, I signed the papers and she informed me that she stocked the fridge and left some brochures about the town on the counter. Apparently she was use to dealing with a lot of corporate people and this was a courtesy provided by her agency. 

I was busy unpacking my meager belongings and setting up my new computer when the doorbell rang. Apparently it was the welcome committee welcoming me to Roaring Heights. This time I didn’t mind as there was a beautiful woman leading the committee.




Her eyes were hypnotizing.

Her smell intoxicating.

Her voice mesmerizing. 

“Hello, my name is Ainsley and this is Bob and Ted. We are here to welcome you into the neighborhood.”

“It’s nice to meet you Ainsley. I’m Olaf.” I replied as I took her dainty hand in mine and focused all my attention on her, ignoring Bob and Ted.

She smiled and my heart melted. “Olaf. That is an interesting name. Where are you from?”

The way my name rolled off her lips as if she said it her entire life. I just wanted to kiss her. I had to pull it together. What was wrong with me? “It’s Swedish. I’m from Aurora Skies.” I offered before raking a hand nervously through my hair. 

“Well, it’s a lovely name and we are happy to have you here. If there is anything we can help you with just let us know. Bob and Ted live down the street and I live two streets over. It was nice meeting you Olaf.”

“Thank you.” I managed to speak before she turned and walked away. 

She was absolutely breathtaking.

---


I decided to finish setting up my computer and finding a perfect spot for my easel before fixing myself an early dinner. After dinner I thumbed through the brochures and newspaper hoping to learn more about the local art scene. 

It would probably be best to go to the local gallery and city hall to see if I could sell my paintings there. I would do that tomorrow as well as explore the town. I went upstairs to the balcony where I put my easel and decided to start a new painting. 


Roaring Heights really was beautiful, like Ainsley. I wonder if this is what love at first sight felt like. I wasn’t ready to jump into dating but if I was, Ainsley would be the one I would want to spend all my time with. I let my thoughts consume me as I worked on my painting well into the evening until my back started to hurt so I laid in bed, reading until I fell asleep. 


The next morning I woke to discover it was no longer morning, as I slept until noon and the ground was covered in snow. I made a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch and devoured it before heading out to the main gallery in town. I’m not sure what I was expecting but the salute to 1950’s décor wasn’t it; not to say I don’t enjoy the art but I was hoping for something a little more subtle, more poetic, more muted. I walked around and enjoyed being back in the art world, I may have even picked up some inspiration for a new painting. I talked to the gallery owner and she said to bring in a portfolio of my work and we could talk. I thanked her and promised to return soon with samples of my work. 



I decided to stop by the grocery store to pick up a few things I needed after all, I couldn’t live on grilled cheese sandwiches; technically I guess I could, but I was really in the mood for fish. I got out of the cab and there was Ainsley coming out of the grocery store. Her radiant red hair appeared like flames against the backdrop of snow, she was beautiful. I was so busy admiring her that I didn’t realize she was speaking to me. 

“Hello, Olaf. How are you settling in?”

“Hi, Ainsley. I’m settling in ok, thank you. I just came from the gallery where I have an interview of sorts.” I cleared my throat nervously an raked a hand through my hair. “Well, I have to bring in my portfolio but it seems promising.”

She smiled. “That’s great, Olaf. I would love to see your work.”

“Well, hopefully the gallery will accept my work and it will be on display for the entire town. I would love to get your thoughts on it if I get the job.”

She laughed. “Of course you will get the job but I was hoping to get a sneak peek at your work. You see I’m an art teacher at the school and would like to invite you to be a guest judge at our local art fair, if you have some extra time?”

“Oh wow, you’re an artist?” I asked my intrigue rising.

“Yes, I mostly stick to teaching as I haven’t found much inspiration to paint lately.”

I nodded. “I understand that more than you know. I would love to be a judge and see what local talent I have to contend with. I have to admit, I haven’t been painting as much as I should but if you would like to stop by tomorrow I can show you a few of my favorite pieces.”

“I’ll stop by around 5, if that is ok?”

“Five O’clock will be perfect.” I bid her a good day and went about my shopping.

---



Once I arrived back home, I wasn’t sure what had happened but I found myself thinking of Ainsley and each time I did, my heart did a little flip. I put away my groceries and made a dinner of macaroni and cheese and ate it in front of my computer. I needed to work on my portfolio but I couldn’t stop my mind from racing and my heart from hurting. I glanced down at my necklace, the one Iris made for me and I hurt. I hated feeling like I was betraying her. I hated feeling like I didn’t deserve happiness, after all Iris was happy; happy without me. So why couldn’t I move on? I snatched the necklace off and threw it across the room and fought the urge to topple the table over and send my computer flying as well, but that wouldn’t do me any good. Instead I went to the sink and calmly washed my bowl before retrieving the necklace. I headed upstairs where I tucked it away in a drawer and vowed this would be my last thought of Iris.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh, go get Ainsley, Olaf! Get it gurrrrrl, err boy. :P. I hope she helps heal his heart! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I even start on the story itself, I have to say that your writing is so amazing that I can't even begin to put it into words. This was written like a bloody novel, and it just adds so much more to the Sims. Its amazing what you can do with this little game :)

    Now, omg! It looks like Roaring Heights is going to be good for Olaf after all! Ainsley is gorgeous and so sweet! I hope she is good to Olaf and doesn't break his heart...if they even get together that is! Who knows? I can't wait to read more! Stupid Iris and her stupid baby. Olaf deserves better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just started reading your challenge today and I love it! I really hope Olaf goes after Ainsley!

    ReplyDelete